Thursday, March 21, 2013

Killer Waffles

I grew up baking with my grandmother, and I've always been more comfortable with baking than cooking.  Because my son Lukas has so many food allergies, we can't eat out or buy pre-made foods.  These days I enjoy the challenge of adapting recipes for our tastes and diet restrictions.  Not every allergen free recipe is a success, but I'm so excited to have found a few fantastic new recipes!  Regardless of whether you have any diet restrictions, these recipes are absolutely worth trying.


Vegan Apple Cinnamon Ginger Waffle

The first is a tasty waffle recipe.  Since these have very little oil, make sure you spray the waffle iron DOWN!!!  The whole family LOVED these.  This recipe fills up my waffle maker 3 to 3 1/2 times, or about 12-14 small square waffles.  I like to have enough to freeze for a second breakfast.

Adapted from http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/10/my-vegan-waffle-post-giveaway.html


2.5 cups King Arthur white wheat flour
3 cups soy milk
4 tsp lemon juice (approximately 1 lemon or 1/8 cup)
2 teaspoons ginger
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (generous pinch)
4 tsp baking powder
1-3 tsp sun flower seed butter (warm up and mix with bananas)
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
½ to ¾ cup apple, finely diced
Orange zest
1-2 TBL sugar
1/8 cup sunflower oil
oil for waffle iron, coat well!  


My waffle iron takes about 7 minutes to cook each batch.  Watch for a decrease in steam.  Serve with fresh strawberries or whatever fruit suits your fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment