Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Allergen Free Clif Bar Success!

My family loves Clif Bars but the labels say "May contain allergen allergen allergen allergen" and sure enough, they cause Lukas to break out into an itchfest.  I still sneak them to the gym and I've recently fallen in love with coconut chocolate chip.  It inspired me to try to make them myself.  I checked out the Clif ingredient list and gathered ideas online, and made my first batch.  After they cooled I refrigerated them overnight, and upon tasting them, Lukas dubbed them "Cold Cookies".  Later when I gave Lukas a dessert choice of chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, or Cold Cookies, he chose Cold Cookies - that's how good they are!


Clif Bar Coconut Chocolate Chip Actual Ingredients: 
Organic Brown Rice Syrup,
ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract],
Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour),
Organic Rolled Oats,
Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Vitamin E [Antioxidant]), 
Organic Cane Syrup,
Chocolate Chips (Dried Cane Syrup, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract),
ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Psyllium),
Organic Coconut,
Organic Date Paste,
Organic Sunflower Oil,
Natural Flavors,
Sea Salt,
Natural Vitamin E (Antioxidant)


Soy Protein Isolate sounds a little suspicious too.  (Hidden MSG perhaps?)  Anyway, on to my version.

Homemade Coconut Chocolate Chip Clif Bar Ingredients:  
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup coconut

Crunchies (I used Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax with Chia)
1 container pitted dates (check them for pits!)
Crunchy sunflower seed butter 
Water (add last)
Chocolate Chips


Preheat oven to 300 convection (or 325). Pull out your food processor and grind up the oats, crunchies, and coconut.  Add the dates checking for pits - I didn't and my food processor got very unhappy. Add water slowly until a thick batter forms. (Alternatively, you could reserve some of the coconut, Sunbutter, oats, and crunchies and mix them in at the end for more texture.)  Line a small pan with parchment paper.  Leave some paper sticking out on each side so you can lift the it after baking. Spread batter & press down. Bake for about 20 minutes. Cool and then cut bars with a pizza cutter. I used a 5x9 pan and I think a bigger one would have been fine too. I prefer them stored in the refrigerator - the taste better cold and will last longer too.  Enjoy your "Cold Cookies"!


No comments:

Post a Comment