Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Safe Seasonings, Sauces, and Dressings



I am so tired of reading spice mixtures and finding MSG, GMO's, mystery ingredients, and myriad other creepy chemicals.  I realized that I've compiled quite a lot of recipes for spices, sauces, and dressings that I wanted to document for myself, family, friends, and anyone else out there who's like me and wants to control what goes into her cooking!

I recently spent some time with my grandmother who has her own dietary concerns, namely salt.  This made me realize that I'd rather reduce or eliminate the salt in my spice mixes and adding only what is absolutely necessary for taste. 

I also adjust the spiciness down since I have small children but you can increase the pepper (black, red, etc.) as much as you like for your tastes.

I save all my old spice bottles so I always have a selection to choose from for me latest mixes.  Mine aren't as pretty as this even, but you get the idea:
 
Taco Seasoning
0-2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp black pepper
2 TBL chili powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½  tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 TBL ground cumin

Steak Seasoning (Similar to Montreal Steak)
0-2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp black pepper
3 tsp dried minced onion
1.5 tsp dried minced garlic
1.5 tsp crushed red pepper
1.5 tsp dried thyme
1.5 tsp dried rosemary
1.5 tsp dried fennel

Rib Rub (Similar to Emeril’s Rib Rub)
0-2 TBL salt
4 TBL brown sugar
1-3 tsp black pepper (3 tsp = 1 TBL)
1-3 tsp cayenne (3 tsp = 1 TBL)
2 TBL paprika
1 tsp ground mustard seed
1 TBL onion powder
1 TBL garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
2 TBL chili powder
¼ tsp oregano
¼ tsp thyme

Vegan Ranch Dressing or Dip
1 cup veganaise
¼ cup unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp garlic powder
0-1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp onion [pwder
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
1 TBSP cider vinegar
Pinch dried dill
Combine.  Increase mayo to milk ratio for dip.

Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
1/2 cup veganaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
0-2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
0-1/8 teaspoon salt
1 dash black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment