Sunday, August 25, 2013

Chickpea Waffles



I'm still obsessed with chickpeas.  So much so that I made a trip to 14 Carrot and purchased some chickpea flour.  Lukas is not allergic to wheat (thank goodness) so we haven't had to go gluten free. But if chickpeas taste that good in baked goods (see cookie recipe), then why not make breakfast containing this tasty, nutritious ingredient?  This recipe is so healthy that you won't believe how good they are.

The entire family loved these waffles.  I'm the pickiest one of the bunch and these were the best waffles I've ever made.  I love the subtle flavor of the chickpeas and the sunflower seed butter!

I've adjusted this recipe to make 12 small square waffles which will hopefully be enough to satisfy our family of 4 next time I make them!

(A note to the food allergic - I researched Bob's and found that the facility is gluten free but not nut free.  They run the non allergen products first and then clean after the allergen products, but Lukas did start itching after eating the waffles.  My next step is to figure out where to get some chickpea flour processed in a nut free facility!)

2 cups garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour (add a tad more if too runny)
2.4 cups soy milk
juice of one small lemon
1.5 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
3 TBL sunflower seed butter
1 - 1 1/2 bananas, mashed (microwave for 45 seconds to soften if not already overripe)
pinch of orange zest or a few drops of orange extract (optional)

Since this recipe does not contain oil, it's imperative to coat the waffle iron WELL before pouring in the batter.  These were delicious with some raspberries on top, but all we had left by the time I took a picture were some mangoes!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment